Polstead WI welcomed Mr Karl Lumbers from Trinity House, who gave an exceptionally interesting talk about “The Trinity House Story”. Trinity House, we learned, is a charity dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers, providing education, support and welfare to the seafaring community. On the 20th May 1514 Henry V111 presented a Royal Charter to a guild of mariners troubled by poor conduct of unregulated pilots on the Thames. With the increasing number of ships lost between Newcastle and London, Trinity House established the Lowestoft Lighthouse in 1609. Until the late 18th Century fires were used as illuminants, improved in 1782 with the oil burning Argand lamp!! In 1969 saw the debut of helicopter reliefs to and from lighthouses ending the tradition of keepers being trapped by foul weather. For centuries Trinity House has invested in skills and training to ensure that our mariners are world class.
Please contact Carmel Evans on 01787 210865 or email for more information